Graphic Design Internship
- - Community Engagement
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Part Time
Graphic Design Internship
(20 hours a weekly, flexible scheduling, January – May 2019)
United Way fights for the education, financial stability, health and basic needs of everyone in our community.
We pursue this vision in all we do as we ask our community to give, advocate and volunteer. We believe that vision can only be achieved if pursued with shared values, and therefore place great emphasis on building a team that will pursue this vision together with CARE.
Courage Accountability Respect Excellence
United Way of Central Indiana recognizes that the key to success is a strong and cohesive team that works through shared values to achieve our mission. The Graphic Design Intern is a member of the marketing team. The intern will be an integral part of promoting the United Way brand, fostering a better understanding of United Way, creating custom materials and assisting with graphic design projects for United Way, partner companies and donor-centric pieces.
Position Duties & Responsibilities
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
• Proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop (or Adobe Creative Cloud)
• Basic computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Word, Excel), Google Apps (e.g., Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Drive).
• Completed coursework in graphic design, instructional design or similar program
• Ability to excel in a highly detail-oriented and fast paced environment
• Ability to thrive in an environment of continual feedback; address stressful situations with poise, understanding and tact
• Photography and video editing experience a plus
• Written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to be adaptable to fluctuating deadlines
• Demonstrated focus on creativity and quality
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily and be present in the office while performing those functions. The requirements listed are representative of the basic knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual in this role must display the highest level of integrity and confidentiality. United Way also values innovative thinking, and a successful candidate will be a self-starter who can work within the team to achieve goals and objectives. The individual should have effective communication skills, attention to detail and organization, and flexibility and adaptability. The individual will also maintain knowledge of trends in his/her area of responsibility and reviews literature to understand key issues.
Education and/or Experience
Currently enrolled in an accredited higher education program with at least a sophomore level status in Art, Visual Communication, Graphic Design or Instructional Design (preferred).
The physical demands described here are general representations of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to touch and handle objects. The employee frequently stands or walks.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Office setting, with sustained use of a computer.
• The noise level in the work environment is minimal to moderate.
• Maintains personal/professional competency and works to create an environment of courtesy, respect, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude in all interactions both internal and external to the organization.
United Way of Central Indiana's team is evaluated on the following core competencies:
• Thinking Strategically
• Stakeholder Experience
• Effective Communication
Position Leader: Creative Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt/Hourly, 20 hours weekly, Temporary, Flexible Schedule
Salary Range: $13.00 Hourly
Equal Opportunity Employer
Please apply at uwci.org/careers
This position description does not constitute a contract of employment or a guarantee of any terms or conditions of employment. UWCI employees are employed on an at-will basis. In addition, nothing in this position description restricts UWCI's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.