Vice President – Government Relations
- Impact - Vice President – Government Relations
- Indianapolis , IN, USA
- Full Time
Vice President – Government Relations
Safeguarding our team members is an important part of how we ensure our continued work in the communities we serve. As a condition of employment, UWCI requires all new hires to be optimally vaccinated against COVID-19, including the COVID-19 booster, barring an approved exemption. All UWCI team members will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by October 19, 2021, barring an approved exception.
We partner to design, support and grow systems that accelerate financial stability and upward mobility for individuals and families living in or near poverty and striving for a brighter future. Our vision is that Central Indiana will be a community where children, individuals and families thrive; neighbors care for each other; and we are proud of all our residents' quality of life.
We pursue this vision in all we do as we ask our community to give, advocate and volunteer. We believe that vision can only be achieved if pursued with shared values, and therefore place great emphasis on building a team that will pursue this vision together with ICARE. This is an exciting time to be part of United Way of Central Indiana's team as we embark on a new strategic framework that fosters innovation, builds community partnerships, and integrates across traditional functional areas.
United Way of Central Indiana recognizes that the key to success is a strong and cohesive team that works through shared values to achieve our mission. This position provides the government relations leadership and stewardship to support these priorities and our organizational goals. UWCI is a nonpartisan, non-ideological organization.
Position Duties & Responsibilities
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
This role provides leadership for United Way of Central Indiana (UWCI) public policy and governmental relations work at the federal, state and local levels. This position works with the Chief Impact Officer and impact team to identify and support policy initiatives that further the organization's goals. This position supports identified priorities and initiatives in conjunction with the efforts of Indiana United Ways (IUW) and United Way Worldwide (UWW) and through the building and stellar leadership of coalitions that may include corporate partners and other non-profit organizations. This position is a member of the Operating Committee in which senior leadership actively participate in discussion on a wide-ranging set of topics relevant to the organization.
Under the direction of Chief Impact Officer, the VP, Government Relations shall:
- Advocacy: Advocate for key state, regional and local level public policy issues, including strategy development, coalition building and serving as a registered lobbyist with the state on behalf of UWCI
- Regular meetings with legislators and other state officials to build relationships and educate on issues important to UWCI
- Develop annual policy agenda through consensus building with community stakeholders, public policy workgroup, internal management, and board of directors
- Lead the statewide Education Works Coalition in identifying priorities and executing grassroots advocacy work
- Participate in and support the work of various coalitions on the topics of housing, health, education and economic assets.
- Develop policy briefs to educate corporate, government, and nonprofit stakeholders on the issues important to UWCI
- Engage with community-based organizations to understand the barriers they are facing related to policy and update them on legislative process
- Bill tracking, testimonies, and real time lobbying to support/block bills.
- Mobilize UWCI Board members and companies, other volunteers, community partners and other external constituencies for action in support of public policy agenda.
- Provide staff leadership for the UWCI Public Policy Workgroup
- Conduct a regular program of information dissemination including communication and activation through VoterVoice, website updates, newsletters, email action "alerts" and social media.
- Community Thought Leadership: Cultivate and maintain constructive relationships with government, corporate, and nonprofit leaders as needed to foster collaboration and influence specific policy agenda. Develop and execute ways to lift up UWCI as a leader through speaking engagements, earned media, policy briefs and other forums. Participate in key collective efforts to stay at the forefront of knowledge and influence around public policy within central Indiana.
- Cultivate and maintain a constructive relationship with local leadership in Boone, Hamilton, Hancock, Hendricks, Marion, Morgan and Putnam counties as well as with state legislators, the governor's office, and state agencies, positioning UWCI as a thought leader on issues related to the human services sector. Coordinate and collaborate with the Community Relations Team in this effort.
- Participate on the Indiana United Ways public policy committee.
- Leadership: support, develop and manage the government relations team; provide leadership to impact team; serve the organization in executive leadership as a member of the operating committee
- Supervise government relations and public policy manager and government relations intern
- Develop and monitor department budget. Assist in raising and tracking funds for advocacy and lobbying work, ensuring that UWCI operates within the IRS restrictions associated with its tax-exempt status
- In collaboration with other members of the Impact Leadership Team, drive the development of annual impact team goals
- Support Chief Impact Officer in cultivating productive and inspiring Impact Team environment, including communicating team priorities
- As a member of the UWCI's senior leadership team (operating committee), actively participate in organizational problem solving and execution of UWCI's mission
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the basic knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual in this role must display the highest level of integrity and confidentiality. United Way also values innovative thinking, and a successful candidate will be a self-starter who can work within the team to achieve goals and objectives. The individual should have effective communication skills, attention to detail and organization, flexibility, adaptability and the ability to multi-task and be open-minded in a fast-paced environment. The individual will also maintain knowledge of trends in his/her area of responsibility and reviews literature to understand key issues. This person will have a commitment to equity and use that lens to shape their work.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree in public administration, law, government, social work or related field required. Graduate degree preferred in public administration, law, government, social work or related field with approximately five years of significant experience in public policy, preferably related to human services and/or education issues.
Excellent communication and presentation skills are required. Good organizational and administrative skills needed. Strong media relations experience desired. Must possess strong computer skills including database management. Familiarity with a variety of research techniques, internet and sources is necessary.
*Work experience may substitute for education requirements on a case-by-case basis.
United Way of Central Indiana's team is evaluated on the following core competencies:
- Job Knowledge
- Thriving in Change
Position Leader: Chief Impact Officer
FLSA Status: Full Time, EXEMPT, Salaried
Salary Range: $110,000+
Benefits: Complete Benefits Package Available
Equal Opportunity Employer
Please apply at uwci.org/team
This position description does not constitute a contract of employment or a guarantee of any terms or conditions of employment. UWCI employees are employed on an at-will basis. In addition, nothing in this position description restricts UWCI's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts