Manager of Special Events
- Marketing - Manager of Special Events
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
Manager of Special Events
Fundraising and Engagement
Safeguarding our team members is an important part of how we ensure our continued work in the communities we serve. As a condition of employment, UWCI requires all new hires to be optimally vaccinated against COVID-19, including the COVID-19 booster, barring an approved exemption. All UWCI team members will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by October 19, 2021, barring an approved exception.
We partner to design, support and grow systems that accelerate financial stability and upward mobility for individuals and families living in or near poverty and striving for a brighter future. Our vision is that Central Indiana will be a community where children, individuals and families thrive; neighbors care for each other; and we are proud of all our residents' quality of life.
We pursue this vision in all we do as we ask our community to give, advocate and volunteer. We believe that vision can only be achieved if pursued with shared values, and therefore place great emphasis on building a team that will pursue this vision together with ICARE. This is an exciting time to be part of United Way of Central Indiana's team as we embark on a new strategic framework that fosters innovation, builds community partnerships, and integrates across traditional functional areas.
United Way of Central Indiana recognizes that the key to success is a strong and cohesive team that works through shared values to achieve our mission. The Manager of Special Events is the member of our Marketing team responsible for developing and executing external events that promote the United Way brand, raise money and foster a better understanding of United Way of Central Indiana's work in the community.
Position Duties & Responsibilities
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Event development and planning for major public facing events:
- Provide overall leadership for all external events at United Way. Leadership includes theme creation, fundraising, meetings, site identification and reservation, budget development, logistics, volunteer needs, sponsorship package development and fulfilment.
- Provide assistance with donor and volunteer stewardship and engagement events (including Tocqueville 1st Wednesday's, Lift as We Climb, Once a Leader Luncheon, Go All IN Day, etc.)
- Provide creative and outcome direction for new and existing special events while working closely with appropriate staff.
- Oversee event ticketing and manage the organization's Eventbrite account.
- Oversee event planning across the organization to determine if events successfully complete predetermined goals and make future adjustments where necessary.
- Develop an organization-wide annual event calendar that's always updated at least 9 months in advance at all times to ensure our team has ample time for optimal execution of each individual event.
- Build staff knowledge of event planning and supervise their event responsibilities.
- Work alongside marketing and communications teams to ensure our events positively and effectively convey accurate and updated messaging.
- Recruit, inspire and manage volunteer event committees to develop and implement fundraising events.
- Work with fundraising team to prepare sponsorship proposals in support of key events and assist in sponsorship recruitment and benefit fulfillment.
- Initiate and develop community event partnerships.
- Manage individual events and overall department budgets effectively.
- Ensure development and execution of all logistical requirements for each event.
- Assure all data related to events is correctly tracked in the United Way's CRM.
- Performs special assignments and other work, on an as-needed basis.
- Hire and lead Special Events Intern.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the basic knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual in this role must display the highest level of integrity and confidentiality. United Way also values innovative thinking, and a successful candidate will be a self-starter who can work within the team to achieve goals and objectives. The individual should have effective communication skills, attention to detail and organization, flexibility, adaptability and the ability to multi-task and be open-minded in a fast-paced environment. The individual will also maintain knowledge of trends in his/her area of responsibility and reviews literature to understand key issues.
This position requires regularly lifting up to, or more than, 25 pounds, pulling, pushing, assembling, driving a large van, working at venues outside of United Way, and requires nights, weekends and alternative weekday hours.
Education and/or Experience
4-6 years of relevant experience in designing and implementing special events required. Preferred background and education in marketing, philanthropy, event management or other related field.
*Work experience may substitute for education requirements on a case-by-case basis.
United Way of Central Indiana's team is evaluated on the following core competencies:
- Job Knowledge
- Thriving in Change
Position Leader: Chief Marketing, Communications and Community Relations Officer
Position Leads: Seasonal Events Intern
FLSA Status: Exempt, Full-Time
Salary Range: Low to mid 60s
Benefits: Complete Benefits Package Available
Reviewed: October 2022
Equal Opportunity Employer
Please apply at uwci.org/careers
This position description does not constitute a contract of employment or a guarantee of any terms or conditions of employment. UWCI employees are employed on an at-will basis. In addition, nothing in this position description restricts UWCI's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.