- Operations - Accounting Director
- Indianapolis, IN, USA
- Full Time
United Way fights for the education, financial stability, health and basic needs of everyone in our community.
Safeguarding our team members is an important part of how we ensure our continued work in the communities we serve. As a condition of employment, UWCI requires all new hires to be optimally vaccinated against COVID-19, including the COVID-19 booster, barring an approved exemption. All UWCI team members will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by October 19, 2021, barring an approved exception.
We pursue this vision in all we do as we ask our community to give, advocate and volunteer. We believe that vision can only be achieved if pursued with shared values, and therefore place great emphasis on building a team that will pursue this vision together with CARE. This is an exciting time to be part of United Way of Central Indiana's team as we embark on a new strategic framework that fosters innovation, builds community partnerships, and integrates across traditional functional areas.
Courage Accountability Respect Excellence
United Way of Central Indiana recognizes the key to success is a strong and cohesive team that works through shared values to achieve our mission. The Accounting Director is the member of our Finance team responsible for managing the CRM processing team; the timely and accurate management benefits administration, processes, accounting, audits, and reporting; bank account reconciliations; facility and property accounting and tax returns; and other key finance functions.
Position Duties & Responsibilities
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Manage CRM processing team through cultivation of learning opportunities, team cohesiveness, workload management, and communication both inside and outside the Finance Team.
- Assist in related day-to-day processing functions as needed during peak times. Team includes the following functions (three direct reports):
- Pledge Audit and Processing
- Accounts Receivable Processing
- Donor Designation Processing
Benefits and payroll related accounting
- Collaborate with Human Resources on benefits administration including open enrollment and COBRA
- Process general ledger entries for all payroll and benefits
- Reconcile benefit and payroll related general ledger accounts
- Reconcile and submit benefit invoices for payments
- Support auditors and tax preparers for all benefit plan audits and related tax return filings
Other key finance functions
- Monthly reconciliation of bank statements
- Track and resolve outstanding checks, and submit annual report of Unclaimed Property
- Manage fixed assets and prepaids
- Prepare real and personal property tax returns
- Manage and prepare various internal allocations amongst the departments
- Assist JumpIN and CHIP with financial reporting needs
- Assist in CBO financial evaluation support, as needed
- Provide necessary support to auditors and tax preparers for financial audits and the 990 tax return
- Ability to generate requested ad-hoc reports through accounting systems
- Performs special assignments and other work, on an as-needed basis.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily and be present in the office while performing those functions. The requirements listed are representative of the basic knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The individual in this role must display the highest level of integrity and confidentiality. United Way also values innovative thinking, and a successful candidate will be a self-starter who can work within the team to achieve goals and objectives. The individual should have effective communication skills, attention to detail and organization, and flexibility and adaptability. The individual will also maintain knowledge of trends in his/her area of responsibility and reviews literature to understand key issues.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree in accounting preferred or at least four years in relevant experience in accounting related position. Work experience may substitute for education requirements on a case by case basis. Must be computer proficient and detail oriented. Effective time management is essential along with the ability to multi-task. Must be able to successfully meet various processing deadlines. Organizational and interpersonal skills are critical to this position.
The physical demands described here are general representations of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to touch and handle objects. The employee frequently stands or walks.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office setting, with sustained use of a computer.
- The noise level in the work environment is minimal to moderate.
- Maintains personal/professional competency and works to create an environment of courtesy, respect, enthusiasm, and a positive attitude in all interactions both internal and external to the organization.
United Way of Central Indiana's team is evaluated on the following core competencies:
- Thinking Strategically
- Stakeholder Experience
- Effective Communication
Position Leader: Sr Director of Finance
Position Leads: Pledge Auditing and Processing Manager, Accounts Receivable Manager, Donor Choice and Pledge Processing Specialist
FLSA Status: Exempt, Fulltime
Salary Range: Mid to Upper 80's
Benefits: Complete Benefits Package Available
Equal Opportunity Employer
Please apply at uwci.org/careers
This position description does not constitute a contract of employment or a guarantee of any terms or conditions of employment. UWCI employees are employed on an at-will basis. In addition, nothing in this position description restricts UWCI's right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts